Thursday 23 June 2016

30 Days wild Days 17 & 18 Ulster Wildlife

Day 17


I learned even more about froghoppers today; found out that they make a noise when they jump. I was wondering why it sounded like crickets in the back garden.

                                    
My son rolled down a hill after I coaxed him into it and he loved it of course.

A bit dizzy at the bottom of the hill.

Borage among our wild potatoes,
 look forward to seeing it in full bloom

 I am finding I'm getting much deeper into wildlife and its reawakening a love that I had when I was a young teen living in the country side on a dairy farm in the South East of Ireland. It brings back fond memories of watching hares and rabbits in the fields, picking crab apples, and playing in the wee copse between us and the grumpy farmer next door on a homemade swing, made from an old front tyre of a tractor. Those were good days too!


Day 18


We went out for the day and had a fantastic day with regards to being wild in the wild. We went to a festival in Portaferry and as I knew Ulster wildlife would have a stand there  we joined Ulster Wildlife trust as a family. There were a lovely group of volunteers at the stand. Well done to everyone involved. I'm looking forward to reading all the material we got.

Ulster Wildlife Info Stand

Maidenhair Spleenwort (fern)


Then we headed to a lovely almost private beach called Knockinelder on the coastline of the Ards Penisula. We were there as a family many years ago, I have a wee video of my son as a wee toddler but have not been granted permission by my now 11 year old. (lol) This beach is full of rockpools and the rock formations are fantastic.

                

We loved going for a short walk and I thoroughly enjoyed walking in the sand and paddling in the water. It made me feel young again. The water was lovely and warm in spots. There so much to focus on I wasnt sure what to photograph. We discovered as much as my energy would allow me to discover.

Edible crab carcass (Cancer Pagurus)


Sea Ivory (Lichen) grows well above the high tide

Rocks are impressive


Common Limpets and Beadlet Anemones


Random act of wildness, paddling in the sea


Baby Crab carcass???

We ended our trip to the Ards Penisula by visiting an old mill and happily exhausted travelled back across the ferry to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment