Saturday 25 June 2016

30 Days Wild Day 23 & 24 Oh to be a bird

Oh to be a bird!

Day 23


Awoke early listening to birds singing at the top of their lungs. The sun is back for most of the day but due to rain about 5:00pm. Maybe I should have been a weather presenter. Really for fun I wanted to find a weather forecast background and superimpose myself in it. But to no avail, couldn't find one. Lol

Moved furniture about in the living room last week, since then I'm loving sitting by the front window looking out. Don't see a whole load but do see blue skies.

Later on I went to visit one of my favourite local places Corbet Lough. To my delight the swans and water wildfowl were lazing about in the sun. I had a lovely time with a friend and we just sat and took in the lakes sights and sounds.


One grumpy swan was barking at the others , well that's what it sounded like; while  mummy mallards and their young tried to pass, one with tiny goslings and the other with juveniles.



 The swans were busy preening themselves and one male was trying to attract the attention of the ladies. However they were having none of it!


Baby ducklings having a sleep in their nest,
 Mummy was below the nest keeping an eye on them.

Even a wee moorhen swam quickly past, tiny in comparison to the swans. Finches and Great Tits flitted about here and there in the search of scraps left behind by picnickers.

Moorhen


I was fascinated by the webbed feet of the swan and got a good photo of his feet. They remind me of paddles. However, it was sad to see so many cigarette butts about. Does anyone care that a bird picks these up. Makes me want to see if anything can be done about it. I'll have to check that one out.

Snoozing Mallard (male)



These swan's feet definitely look like paddles.


Day 24


I was frantically looking for binoculars so I could watch a wee bird singing at the top of his voice (Pied Wagtail me thinks). A House Martin was chatting away too. Still couldn't find those binoculars but gave up and went out to simply listen to the birds singing away.  Now I think 24 days earlier I would have kept looking for those binoculars and missed the opportunity to listen to their beautiful songs. I'm glad there are still 6 days let in June. After this month I will continue to write a weekly wildlife blog about our escapades in the wild. (no photos today, far too wet for me)

And to finish this day a wee poem I put together today;

            O to be a Bird


O to be a bird singing in the trees,
Sitting in the sun and listening to the bees;


O to be a bird soaring in the sky,
Gliding through the air not worrying how high;


O to be a bird building their own nest
Busy going to and fro, then there's time for rest.

                                 by Elaine Dickson

No comments:

Post a Comment